Here are 5 cool things for you to check out this weekend.
- Podcast: Soundtrack Composer Rob Gokee on The Functional Nerds Podcast – Patrick, Rob and I discuss composers Hans Zimmer, Bear McCreary and Blake Neely. Rob then tells us what it’s like to score music for Dreamworks Animation, the SyFy channel, PBS, National Geographic as well as many documentaries and independent films.
- Album: Hot Streak by The Winery Dogs – This is a worthy follow-up to Richie Kotzen (Poison, Mr. Big), Billy Sheehan (David Lee Roth, Mr. Big) and Mike Portnoy’s (Dream Theater) self titled debut album. The songs are a little stronger and a little more unique this time around. The rapid fire, virtuoso, unison guitar/bass lines recall Sheehan’s work with Steve Vai on David Lee Roth’s Eat ‘Em and Smile record, and Kotzen’s vocals are as soulful as ever.
- Beer: Allagash Black – I’m typically an IPA guy, but this chocolatey black stout is delicious.
- Book: Lightless by C.A. Higgins – Dig the James S.A. Corey books? Lightless has a similar setting but the entire story takes place on one ship with only a handful of characters. A thought provoking thriller that explores the many facets of Artificial Intelligence.
- Blog Post: 3 Quick & Easy Steps to Promote eBook Piracy by Patrick Hester – The title of this piece may be sarcastic.
What are you currently listening to, reading, watching or drinking? Let me know in the comments.
Want these recommendations sent to your inbox every Friday? Sign up here.
Dig The Functional Nerds Podcast? Consider becoming one of our patrons over at our Patreon page.